Reduction Rhinoplasty is either a reconstructive or cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance or function of the nose. This is usually requested by Western countries to enhance the shape of the nose, reduce the size, removing bumps, curves or ridges and by contouring the shape of the bridge of the nose in alignment with the tip. This can also correct condition like difficulty of breathing. Clients who are seeking to have this procedure may have one or more of the following feelings or conditions that may indicate a need for reduction rhinoplasty:
- Clients with large nose in relation to other facial features.
- Clients with bump on the bridge of the nose.
- Clients with a bulbous tip.
- Clients who suffered from injury that result to asymmetrical nose.
- Clients with crooked or off center nose.
- Clients with a wide nose.
- Clients who suffered from breathing problems due to internal nose structure defect.
Fasting is required in any surgical procedure performed under general anesthesia. The client is advised not to eat or drink anything atleast 8 hours prior to surgery. If there is no fasting instruction given, the client must not take any food or drink from midnight before her scheduled surgery. Clients who do not comply this requirement may result to surgery being delayed or cancelled.
Please remember the following:
- NSAIDS drugs and Aspirin must be avoided for atleast 2 weeks prior to surgery. If you are taking Aspirin or any type of blood thinning medications for a medical condition, please notify your Plastic Surgery Thailand surgeon to give you a proper advice.
- Generally it is best to continue any blood pressure or blood sugar medications. These can be taken with a sip of water in the morning of surgery.
- Women should ensure negative pregnancy test before surgery.
- Smoking should be stopped atleast 3-4 weeks prior to surgery. If you have been smoking for long time, and you have difficulty quitting, cut back as much as possible.
- Drinking alcohol must be ceased a day or two before surgery.
- Do not wear makeup, jewelries and hair accessories containing metal such as hairpins or clips on the day of surgery.
- Nail polish and Acrylic Nails are not allowed and should be removed prior to surgery.
- If you develop an illness right before surgery, please notify your Plastic Surgery Thailand surgeon.
Our team will thorough evaluate your medical history to check for conditions that may delay the surgery or the healing process.
The procedure usually takes 3-5 hours and you are required to stay in hospital overnight.
Stage 1 – Induction of Anesthesia: General anesthesia or intravenous sedation will be administered. If you are allergic to a certain type of anaesthesia, please notify your Anaesthesiologist right away.
Stage 2 – Treatment: The incision is made under the rim, or within the nose, and the soft tissue separated. The bone and cartilage is then re-sculpted and the skin sealed with fine sutures to minimize scarring. Patients with a deviated septum may have it corrected during surgery to improve breathing problems. Prior to surgery your Plastic Surgery Thailand surgeon may place drops in your nose to eliminate bleeding during surgery and constrict blood vessels.
Stage 3 – Closing the incisions: The incision site will be stitched with fine sutures. The splint will be placed over the nose to support the position of the nasal bones. This usually stays in place for about 2 weeks. Gauze packing inside your nose may also be needed to avoid bleeding. This is usually removed the day after surgery.
You will be provided with set of medications which includes antibiotics, pain killers, anti-inflammatory etc. Please follow the instruction on when to take your medications. Do not drink alcohol while you are on antibiotics.
The non-dissolvable stitches will be taken out on the 12th or 14th day post op. While dissolvable stitches takes time to disappear which is usually around 6 weeks.
What to expect following reduction rhinoplasty surgery:
- Swelling can be expected in reduction rhinoplasty and this usually subsides in 3-4 months. Cutting back salt, proper hydration and light exercises such as walking can help to reduce swelling. If you experience sudden swelling in the days after your surgery, call your Coordinator.
- Bruises after reduction rhinoplasty are to be expected and this will improve over time. If you still have some discolorations after several months, notify your Plastic Surgery Thailand surgeon.
- Strenuous activities, heavy lifting and cardio exercises should be avoided for atleast 6-8 weeks. Recommendation when to resume specific exercises and activities must be asked directly to your Plastic Surgery Thailand surgeon.
You should contact your Coordinator if you experience severe pain not relieve by medications, any unexpected symptoms, such as burning sensation or unusual swelling and high fever.